What is sweeping?
- Date added:
- Tuesday, 10 August 2010
- Last revised:
For those who may not be familiar with this hobby, we thought we'd take a moment to explain.
On the face of it, it's probably obvious that it is the entering of sweepstakes. However, a few things that are not obvious:
- Along with a wide variety of random drawing type sweepstakes, there are also skill contests such as writing, video production, cooking and much much more.
- There is a very large community of individuals who participate in sweepstaking as a hobby on a regular basis. There is also an informal organization that assists in organizing annual national conventions.
- Sweepstakers span the entire spectrum of age, from pre-teen to individuals in their 90s.
- The sheer number of sweepstakes and contests running at any given time is astronomical. In the 10s of thousands for the US alone.
- There are those who have won 17 vehicles (current record for single individual), others have won an island, many have won houses, trips, cash, electronics, etc.
- This is a hobby; most sweepstakers hold full-time jobs, are retirees, stay-at-home moms, students, etc and just spend as much of their spare time as they see fit.
- Sweepstakers are consumers and make a point of purchasing and supporting the product sponsors who provide them with this phenomenal hobby.